Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels
The design challenge was to take a look at some aspect of healthcare and see if there was an opportunity to improve things.
I decided to look at the problem of finding a new family doctor in the city of Toronto.
When people move to Toronto, one of the things they need to do is find a family doctor. From my own experience, finding one that is good and convenient can be incredibly challenging. Without a family doctor, many of the routine check-ups that a person’s health relies on go undone. Although we do have a system of walk-in clinics that people can visit, most of them are too busy to perform yearly physicals or other routine check-ups. After doing some secondary research, I decided to answer the following question.
How might we provide new residents of Toronto with the information they need to quickly find a family doctor?
This design challenge was carried out over the span of about a week and the deliverable was a lo-fi prototype with hi-fi content.
After doing several user interviews and secondary research, these were the themes that stood out.
There is a lack of resources about what doctors are good and which ones are accepting new patients. The result is that finding a new family doctor really comes down to luck; phoning the right clinic at the right time.
Based on the people I interviewed, I put together the following persona. The persona serves to remind the team that what is being created is for a real person.
Once I had a better understanding of the problem, I created a task flow diagram to understand how people will interact with the prototype. It charts the steps a person will go through to find a new doctor.
Once I understood the problem and the direction the project was taking, it was time to start on the UI.
The initial sketches tested well as far as flow and navigation went, so the next step was to create the initial wireframes.
Once the wireframes were created, the prototype went through several rounds of user testing. Once again, the general flow tested welll; however, there were some changes that need to be made.
Below are the changes made after the first round of user testing was completed.
In response to user testing, the following changes where made.
There were only two small changes that came out of this round of testing.
The most interesting thing I learnt from this project was that people have certain expectations of what a mobile app should do. During user testing, once people made it to the final screen they were expecting more from the prototype. Everyone was surprised at how little the prototype did even though it was explained in the onboarding screens. The biggest thing that people expected was for the app to schedule an appointment and take care of transferring health records instead of just sending out an email.
“I strive for two things in design: simplicity and clarity. Great design is born of those two things.”—Lindon Leader